Sunday 6 October 2013

Sinful maxi


Don't mix prints.
Horizontal stripes double your size.
Red and green should never be seen (unless on a holiday reindeer sweater). 
Denim on denim is not a statement (Justin and Britney couldn't even win that battle).
Velour tracksuits never did anyone any good (not even Regina's mom).
And jeggings... well, not much more needs to be said.

Regardless of their relevance to current fashion trends, these are just a handful of rules that have seen so many conform to the what's hot and what's not. But with the fashion world recently flipping a 180 on us, its now actually acceptable to sport a pair of kicks with a leather mesh skort, pair polka dots with stripes and in fact get away with denim on denim.

So whilst society has always instilled fashion dos and don’ts, I have always lived by a few of my own. I’ve never minded a horizontal striped sailor tee and can somewhat wrap my head around the odd animal print outfit (on somebody else), however when it comes to maxi dresses on the vertically challenged; alarm bells have always sent me running in the opposite direction. I’ve always carried around the baggage that I’m short, and therefore if my legs are covered, it'll appear as though I don’t have any. Rational thinking I know but hey - until surgery will break both my kneecaps and extend out my joints by a couple of inches, I guess heels and these dos and don’ts will have to suffice.

Although told many a times that my theory was bizarre, and that that full length white maxi dress in the front window of David Jones - a couple of seasons ago - would have looked great on my petite figure, I just couldn’t shake the idea that I was setting myself up for failure.

That was until now.

I tied the knot (at shin length) with a black maxi dress I met whilst holidaying in Santorini. I was sold when the sales assistant suggested taking baby steps in the length that would gradually lead me to fronting the long fabric in all its glory. Knowing myself far too well in all my inelegance, I figured I’d probably mimic the village idiot tripping up the white steps of Santorini and into a pile of Donkey shit, had I not taken into consideration the assistant’s advice. So between knotting and holding the bottom of the dress in the palm of my sweaty hand – I managed to pull off a seamlessly stack free tragedy.

There’s just something about taking fashion risks in new environments that impulses us to dress the way we want to be seen. Hidden from the ones that know us best, not only do we experience the realms of new surroundings but also our own style.

I now stand here slapping my wrist at the thought of the vertically challenged not being able to pull off a staple item in women’s wardrobes. 
Meet my significant other below, born and bred from a Santorini boutique, Spicy. It features a low dip back and two pieces of pleated fabric to move away from a typical little black dress. The boutique stocks local Greek brands and designers, and more importantly ships overseas. If you're wanting to sport the most recent European styles for our summer, I’d definitely recommend paying the site a visit for some inspiration.







Wearing a Nidodileda black maxi dress, Givenchy Embossed Rubber Grommet Sandal, Ray Ban sunglasses & Tiffany & Co. necklace.

No comments:

Post a Comment